Founded as Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, LMCC serves, connects, and makes space for artists and community.
Since 1973, LMCC has been the quiet champion for independent artists in New York City and the cultural life force of Lower Manhattan.
LMCC Serves Artists through:
- Residencies that enable artists to experiment and develop their work and ideas, with professional development, financial training, and networking opportunities
- Grant funding to artists that support local/neighborhood projects
- Presentation opportunities that allow artists to share their work and creative process with the public
LMCC Serves Community through:
- Free public programs in Lower Manhattan that activate neighborhoods and bring people together through performances and rich artistic experiences
- Access to artists and the artmaking process to build connections and dialogue between artists and audiences
- Grant funding for neighborhood arts and community-based organizations
We envision New York City as a place in which artists and community in dialogue are creating a more just, equitable, and sustainable society.
LMCC values an equitable, diverse, and inclusive world and actively works to counter discrimination on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, citizen status, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender identity. We acknowledge structural inequities that have excluded individuals and communities from opportunities and are committed to providing opportunities that help to rebalance those inequities in our work.
We believe artists are critical to a healthy society as agents of change and new ideas.
We acknowledge structural inequities and we are committed to centering equity, diversity, and inclusion.
We are driven by curiosity. Experimenting, questioning, learning, and understanding are essential to creative development.
We are collaborative. We build partnerships and relationships, and we share our resources.
We listen. Adaptation and responsiveness are essential to meeting needs and ensuring resiliency.
We give with openness and care. We strive to be radically generous and accessible to all.
To create a fertile and nurturing environment for artists and arts groups, enlivening public spaces with free programs in the visual, performing, and new media arts, and to provide leadership in cultural planning and advocacy.
There are many ways for you to support LMCC, from volunteering to sponsoring us and donating.