Celebrate Earth Day on Governors Island!
courtesy of Trust for Governors Island
Happy Earth Day! On Saturday, April 22, celebrate Earth Day on Governors Island at a free day-long celebration of all things ecological featuring environmental education activities for all ages!
Earth Day on Governors Island will include guided tours of the Island’s climate-resilient landscapes and unique Urban Farm, a bird walk focused on early migratory birds passing through Governors Island, a hands-on workshop on making your own seed balls with the Trust’s horticulture team, insect ecology activities, free bike lessons with Bike New York, an immersive performance by artist Seung-Taek Lee, and more.
The Island will host morning volunteer projects and invites you to participate in hands-on, high-impact stewardship activities with Trust for Governors Island gardeners, Billion Oyster Project, National Park Service, Earth Matter, and the Bee Conservancy. Projects will focus on landscape care and are suitable for all ages and ability levels. Tools and materials will be provided.
EVENT SCHEDULE Events will take place at the Parade Ground unless otherwise noted. Pre-registration is recommended but not required for participating in volunteer projects, see link below.
- 10am- 10:30am: Volunteer project registration
- 10:30am - 12:30pm: Island-wide volunteer projects
- 1pm: Community Celebration with giveaways, performances, food trucks, and more
- 1pm: Urban Farm Tour with Earth Matter NY
- 1 - 3pm: Learn to Ride kids bike class with Bike New York at the Oval
- 1:30pm: Seeding Your Way to a Native Habitat seed ball workshop at the Urban Farm
- 2pm: The Earth Performance: Reenactment by Seung-Taek Lee/Canal Projects
- 2pm: Early Migration Bird Walk with NYC Audubon
- 2pm: Introduction to the Circular Economy with Circular Economy Manufacturing
- 2:30pm: Guided nature tour of The Hills with Trust’s horticulture team and an insect ecologist
Earth Day is co-presented by the Trust for Governors Island and the Friends of Governors Island. Learn more here!